Frequently Asked Questions About Travel Insurance During the COVID-19 Pandemic
This past December, we did a series of webinars about COVID and travel insurance. During those sessions, we received many questions about different topics related to travel insurance during the pandemic. There were so many that we took those questions and made a webpage to collect all the questions and answers into these FAQs about travel insurance during the pandemic.
Select the category of questions you’d like to view.
The government has imposed new restrictions requiring travellers entering the country to quarantine in a hotel at their own expense. The new rules come into effect almost immediately and will last until the end of April 2021. There is also a mandatory COVID test required on arrival to Canada. Your travel insurance policy will NOT cover costs related to the quarantine or COVID test.
That said, these new restrictions in no way mean that there is a requirement for people insured under the policies we sell to return to Canada early. Our insurance companies are still allowing extensions under their policies, so if you want to extend your policy, please email or call us at 1-800-661-3098.
If you return to Canada before the date your policy expires, you may be eligible for an early return refund. Please read the refund section of your policy to find out the specific details that pertain to you.
- COVID Travel Insurance Coverage
- Includes questions about annual plans, travel advisories, the cost of COVID coverage and more.
- COVID Add-ons and Third Party Insurance
- Includes questions about topping-up existing policies such as coverage from airlines or credit cards with external COVID coverage.
- Vaccinations and COVID Travel Insurance
- Questions about how getting the COVID vaccine affects your travel insurance.
- Travel Destinations & Crossing the Border
- Questions about how COVID coverage works with different or multiple destinations and crossing the border back into Canada.
- What happens if you get COVID while at your destination
- Questions about what to do if you get COVID at your destination and need to quarantine or seek medical attention. This section also covers dealing with the US medical system.
- Medical Evacuation
- Questions about whether medical evacuations and when it would be appropriate for a COVID patient to return to Canada for treatment.
- General Travel Insurance Questions
- Includes questions about how travel insurance works in general but would still be applicable during the pandemic. This section covers questions about claims, early-return refunds, age brackets and more.